Monday, May 11, 2015

Tell Mama! The Civil War is finally over

From everyone involved in Stoneman's Raid,
Have a Blessed Mother's Day!


"God bless my mother. All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."

"Tell mother and sisters that I die like a brave man and my comrades carried me from the field." 
Last words of Union Corp. GEORGE J. FRENCH
shot by a bushwhacker in Lincolnton, N.C.
 
"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it."
SAMUEL CLEMENS (MARK TWAIN)

Matilda Palmer
(photo from Colorado Springs
Pioneers Museum)
"The great battle thee anticipated when thee last wrote, we have no accounts yet, but we expect to hear of it every day, and what thy fate will be who can tell? What days and nights of anguish it may bring to us? Dear William, does thee think it right to place thy valuable life in such jeopardy?"
 MATILDA PALMER, in a letter to her son, Union Col. William J. Palmer

"Take your boy home and keep a better watch over him."
Col. WILLIAM J. PALMER, to the mother of a boy who shot at him,
exemplifying the forgiveness he learned from his Quaker mother, Matilda Palmer.

"I hope and pray that someone, sometime, will found a memorial mother's day commemorating her for the matchless service she renders to humanity in every field of life. She is entitled to it."
Prayer of Civil War nurse ANN REEVES JARVIS, whose
daughter, Anna Marie Jarvis, founded Mother's Day

"Some two months later, Maj. Reeves returned to his desolated home where the battle had been fought, but the war was ended and he found the best of all thingshis mother and peace."
MILTON CUNDIFF, writing about Stoneman's 1865 skirmish in Siloam, N.C.
(As far as I can tell, Maj. Reeves was not related to the aforementioned Ann Reeves Jarvis)

"I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life."

"Do your duty. Trust in Providence, and be a good Christian, and love God."
JULIA JACKSON's advice to her son Thomas, the future Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson
(thanks to Robin & Linda Williams and their fine show, Stonewall Country)

"Thank you, Mary, my good'n, for your support, indulgence, inspiration, advice, and patience these past few months. You can have your husband back, now that the daily run of The Stoneman Gazette is ending."
THE EDITOR

"Mommeeeee!!!!!!"
LORD SPENCER OF WORMLEIGHTON

No comments:

Post a Comment